Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ridiculous

Here’s a good example of the ridiculousness of life in India.

So the other day I needed to call up my internet service provider to make a change to my account.  Like any red-blooded American, my first step was to log on to Google and look up the phone number for Tata Indicom.  Mind you Tata is a respectable, multi-national firm that is considered amongst India’s best.  Listen below to the answering machine:

(sorry about the poor quality recording – it’s the best I could do)

wtF, right?  And lest you think that this is some wrong number, I received a call back from this number a few minutes later and it WAS, in fact, Tata. 

Sadly, the really shocking part about this story is not that some shrill, highly-annoying, clearly-going-to-be-a-future-prostitute child’s voice was used for the voice mail message.  No, the real shocking part is that there WAS a voicemail at all.  That never happens here.  This is proof – India IS developing.

No comments:

Post a Comment