Sunday, November 14, 2010

Stupidd

Ever since I moved to India I’ve been perplexed by how often I see really atrocious spelling errors.  I’m really no spelling Nazi, but I find it weird that major Bollywood films have names named “Action Replayy” and how people I’ve met with extra letters in their names (e.g. Anita becomes “Anitaa).”  At first I attributed all this to a truly lackluster educational system and the generally poor attention to detail that I’ve encountered in India.  Still – this is why Microsoft/God gave us spell check. 

Then someone finally clued me in – people do it on purpose because they think certain numbers will bring them luck and prosperity.  AKA: numerology.  Apparently, every Bollywood studio employs numerologists to add, subtract, or rearrange the letters in film titles, and in the names of actors, so that they are astrologically sound.

That got me thinking – which is more stupid – not being able to spell or believing in numerology?

Action Replayy

No comments:

Post a Comment