Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Garba Spin

For those of you that don't know, it is now Navratri in India.  I have no idea what the history or rationale behind this holiday is and, frankly, don't care.  The one thing I do know is that:

A.  There seem to be lot Gujaratis dancing around and going to garbas (more dancing - but with sticks) and;
B.  It's become much easier to get restaurant reservations.  Clearly the guju's were taking all the seats before

Anyways, I just called the club where I take spin class to reserve a bike for tomorrow morning before work.  I was informed that tomorrow will be a special "Garba Dandiya" theme spin class.  Lucky me.

I was told to bring a churri and/or banda.  I don't know what either of those two things are and have no plans to bring either.  A small part of me is kinda psyched to see what a garba spin class is all about.  However, a much bigger part of me is more concerned that this will mean a substandard workout (an unacceptable sacrifice in ghee-loving India).  I'll get back to you on how this works out.

Incidentally, I'm off to Ahmadabad in Gujarat tomorrow night for work.  I'll be visiting a community water center in some rural village about 2 hours north of the city and maybe interviewing some real live Gujaratis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment