Wednesday, September 15, 2010

How to make an expats day

Recently a 23-year old, naive, American girl sent the following email to a Bombay Expat email listserv that I belong to.

  
“I am writing with a novel question- what are some items that are difficult to find in Bombay, but which you relied on back in your country or origin- particularly if you come from the states. In other words, what should I "stock up" on before my arrival? What's really hard to find in Bombay?”

 
Expats are a feisty bunch and suggested the following as worth packing and lugging to India:

 
  • Oxygen
  • Sanity
  • Containers that suck up humidity and prevent mold
  • REAL coffee 
  • Better than Bouillon flavoring 
  • Tuna packets
  • Comet Cleanser
  • Lysol
  • LYCRA leggings (with room for a butt)
  • Athletic shoes
  • An old growth forest
  • A thousand pairs of ear plugs, seriously
  • More bars
  • A few Thai, Lebanese, and French restaurants 
  • Some bookshops
  • A live music scene
  • 4 million tons of road surfacing
  • Traffic lights
  • A fleet of taxis that was built after 1945 
  • A billion dollars worth of water infrastructure
  • An airport
  • An entire metro system
  • Ham
  • Tampons
  • The ability to wear shorts freely as a woman

  
Amen. Especially to the REAL coffee. WHERE ARE YOU STARBUCKS?!!!!???????? WHERE ARE YOU?????

  
 
P.S.  I didn't send the girl any suggestions.  I've honestly found I need in India, except for those awesomely delicious south beach protein peanut butter bars, alumnium-free deoderant, greek yogurt, and blueberries.  Fucking blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment