Sorry about the flurry of posts on the Commonwealth Games. For whatever reason, I like the topic.
So first read this short article:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/09/22/debacle_in_new_delhi
I like this article for a two reasons:
1. The title is alliterative. In fact, I'm actually a bit jealous that I didn't think of it first.
2. It answers the question it poses in the first line "How can India be a superpower if it can't even build a bridge?" exactly right by pointing out that India will (is?) a superpower in spite of its governance. This is radically different than our northern neighbor with the pandas that everyone likes to compare India to because we happen to have similarly, overambitious sex drives that has resulted in a few too many citizens.
I also love the line at the end..."In parts of the country, the political and criminal classes are hard to tell apart."
Still, for once, I won't berate India too much for this situation. As an American, I know something about what it feels like to have politicians be a national embarrassments at best and likely criminals at worst. After all, George W. Bush was my President.
No comments:
Post a Comment