Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I love my job

I never thought I’d say that. Well not since working at Starbucks anyways.  I especially never thought I’d say that about a job in India.  But I was, happily, quite wrong in my assumption.  Granted it’s only been 1 day, but so far here is the good news (in no particular order:

  • Free fruit – apples and bananas, whut WHUT!
  • Free yogurt (Not the frozen kind, but I’m not complaining…yet)
  • Free espresso, coffee, and tea.  MADE WITH SPLENDA if I’d like. 
  • Free wifi (that I can use with my iPhone)
  • A very open, non-confining setup.  I’ve come to realize that cubicles are for bitches (both the male and female variety – I don’t discriminate)
  • Free gym membership at South Bombay's best gym
  • Computers that work.  Hell they even managed to get Lotus Notes to be usable enough that it doesn’t drive me insane
  • Phones that don’t require a degree in nuclear physics to operate
  • The type of work I’ll be doing will allow me to “do good” and help people without having to interact with these said people.  This sounds awful, but this is a GOOD thing.  In my old position I was very slowly beginning to hate the people I was meant to be serving.  Mainly because I could see that they were their own worst enemies – and I resented them for their stupidity and inability to change.  Now I get to use capitalism to whip them into shape. God, I'm turning into such a republican. 
  • True flexibility with my schedule.  Some people roll in around 10:30am/11am.
  • Air Conditioning
  • Free cookies (I’m planning to start a campaign to replace these with sugar-free, hi-fiber, flax enriched probiotic biscuits.  This campaign will make my very popular I’m sure).
  • Voice mail.  Oh hell yeah.
  • Did I mention the free yogurt?  I don’t know if you all realize this, but when I was at JPMorgan I literally went out and bought a fridge and brought it to work for the sole reason of wanting to have constant access to yogurt and fruit. 
  • My admin will help me with some of the major annoyances about life in India – like setting up a cell phone, etc
  • No nazi-like policy of blocking gmail and facebook.  Screw you China.
  • I get paid
  • Travel and Expenses Policy
  • I can leave by 6pm – and they’d consider it a hard day’s work
  • A “lounge” in the middle of my office
  • I can order curly fries to my desk (not free, but that’s probably a good thing)
  • Truly interesting and nice co-workers.  They are so competent, professional, and straightforward that I honestly feel like I’m in America. 
  • I get to eat lunch with people instead of my computer screen
  • My commute to work looks something like this -->

This was the best “first day” of my life.  Let’s hope I don’t find out tomorrow that they kill babies in the stock room.**

 

**I honestly still might like the job even in this situation if they keep the free yogurt coming

1 comment:

  1. wow...i'm very jealous. looks and sounds quite nice.

    ReplyDelete