Monday, November 30, 2009

Suck it up

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/28/business/global/28return.html?pagewanted=1&emc=eta1

Good article in the NYTimes about how Indian-Americans “returnees” just might find it difficult to adjusting to life back in India.  Not exactly a groundbreaking insight, but still – the article makes a lot of good points that hit home for me.  One quote in particular about how tough it can be to “look Indian but think American” was very relevant to my experience.

Still, what I didn’t like about this article is that everyone in it seems to give up and return home.  That’s ridiculous. Overstating the problems.  It’s definitely an adjustment to move here (I’m not even a “returny”"), but it’s not THAT hard.  I’m pretty sure I’d have an almost equally hard time moving to any foreign country -or worse – Iowa.  Plus if you’re moving to India from the US you are very likely to live at least a middle-class life here and interacting frequently with western or western-equivalent educated individuals.  So suck it up and stick it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment