Monday, November 16, 2009

Penetrating the Punjab

Tomorrow I leave for my trip to my (half) motherland.  A family friend  from California very randomly invited me to come up and stay with him a day at his farmhouse and get a sense for “rural Punjab.”  Obviously, I’m limiting that part of the trip to no more than a day because I think that's all the “rural anything” I can take.  

First one night in Delhi, and then a very hungover train ride (Yep, I pre-plan my hangovers) from Delhi to Jalandher.  The village I’ll be staying in is maybe another hour by car from Jalandher.  According to my dad this village is seriously the middle of nowhere.  Apparently it is the kind of place where the villagers tend to their animals all day, then get wasted at night and fire their rifles into the air. Sounds like a blast (I love puns). 

image

Anyways, assuming I survive my night in bumblefuck India, I will then make my way over to Amritsar. I’m actually really excited to see Amritsar, because it was one of my “must-see” cities when I was planning this fellowship year and I’ve only heard good things about the city.  From Amritsar I will probably make a quick jaunt over to the Indian-Pakistani border because I always love incorporating warzones into my travel plans. 

Assuming I cheat death once again, I’ll then go over to Shimla in the Himalayas (the former summer capital for British royalty) and finally Chandigarh, before returning to Hyderabad via Delhi. 

image

Be back Monday.  Yes, it was necessary to use the word “penetrating” in my title.

No comments:

Post a Comment