Today, March 1st, officially marks 6 months since I arrived in India. I thought I’d use this momentous occasion to reflect a bit on my accomplishments and failures.
Literacy
So one of my goals in coming to India was to improve my Hindi to something near fluency. I was only interested in learning to converse and had no desire to learn to read and write. Six months later my ability to speak has marginally improved – but – I can now read this: मैं हिंदी में लिख सकते हैं. मुझे भूख लगी है.
Travel
Another goal of mine was to “see India” and I’m very pleased to say that I’m on track to really cover this country. In my 6 months here I’ve been to 2 union territories, 8 states, 4 out of 5 of India’s biggest cities, 1 farm, and 900 temples. I’m not slowing down either. In March, I’ll be visiting Bangalore on the 10th and Nepal with my mom and brother at the end of the month (not really India, but who’s complaining). In April it will be Calcutta and Varanasi. In between all these trips are weekends in Bombay to maintain my sanity and spend time with the few good friends I’ve managed to find in India.
I think I’ve travelled enough around the world to earn the right to make comparisons and I have to say India is easily the most diverse, interesting place on earth to travel. You guys know how cynical I am so I think my gushing statement should carry a bit of extra weight. I honestly can’t think of any other country that has the potential to please so many types of travelers – whether you want beaches, culture, mustaches, history, food, spirituality, trekking, backpacking, or 5-star luxury – no place else even comes close.
Career Goals
This is an area that falls squarely into the “fail” bucket. I came to India with a plan. I’d spent 10 months on the ground learning what it meant to work in the social sector while simultaneously applying to MBA programs in the US. I’d come back as the proud member of the class of 2012 at some reputable institution with a bright future in the social entrepreneurship space. Yeah, no. Instead I dropped my apps last December when it became obvious that I wasn’t ready or able to apply. My job at Roshan Vikas was always rocky, but has now pretty much dissolved into...well…nothing.
I’m trying to figure out my next step. I’ve become somewhat cynical on the social sector – now that I’m familiar with the level of incompetence and disorganization that is so entrenched in these non-profits. Plus its becoming increasingly clear to me that it’s all fairly meaningless. What NGO has ever changed the world? Hell, what NGO has ever actually succeeded in “scaling up” as they all espouse to do. In all likelihood I’ll stick around in India – but I have no idea what I’ll be doing. No, there is nothing exciting about having “so many options” or the “freedom” to change directions. I hate it. I want a plan.
Personal Growth
This category is more of a mixed bag for me. I think I’ve grown up a bit, but that won’t really be obvious till I’m back. I really think I have a fresh perspective on
1. how lucky we are back at home in so so so many ways (i.e. trader joes)
2. how the world really works (yep, I figured it out).
3. what exactly it means to be “indian” or more specifically “indian-american”. It’s not all good news, but its not all bad either.
I’ve also proven to all (particularly parents) that I can survive out here (hopefully I’m not calling this too early).
This all being said, I still do bitch a lot. There is a lot to bitch about in India, and I don't hesitate. I also thought I’d grow more patient in India. I don’t think this is happening – in fact, I’m pretty sure I'm LESS patient. When I’m faced with a scripted call center rep or a brain-dead sales associate I no longer give him or her any benefit of the doubt. I just assume that they don’t know what their doing and so I do what everyone in India does – I yell (and it works 80% of the time).
Accent
I don’t have one and I consider this a huge success. Yes, sometimes I slip into an Indian “way of speaking”, which helps me communicate locally, but I can switch right back to my dry stoner-like California drawl in a heartbeat. Also I still use “like” incorrectly and frequently. I’m so proud of myself.
Anyways, on a more touchy-feely, sentimental note I also want to say that I miss you all very, very much. Even Kanika. She may be hideous and annoying, but at least she hasn’t dedicated her life to make me miserable or cheat me out of all my money. These days that counts for a lot with me.
nice summary...i enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you've become all introspective... I almost respect you as a human being now.
ReplyDelete