I’ve got 2 months free, miles to burn, and a travel goal to meet. Tonight I’m starting leg one of the most epic trip of my life. The plan is to go around the world 1.5x – for less than a $1000 (in taxes and fees) and also hit up those annoying countries in Europe that have eluded me so far.
June 7th: Bombay – Hong Kong – Los Angeles
I don’t really have any particular reason for stopping in HK for 12 hours, but its a chance to eat crabs and savor being “tall” for a few more hours before returning to the US.
June 9th: Orange County – Oakland (and back)
A day after I land I head up to Berkeley for an admit day, Ethiopian food, and a chance to start checking out housing.
June 15th: Orange County – New York
No explanation needed. I belong in NY and can’t seem to step foot in the western hemisphere without dropping by.
Jyoti – get those Champagne Mojitos ready.
Ishara – How about the Met + Drinks?
Naiel – Can we finally go to that popsicle frozen yogurt place
Shenali – No matter what Shrenik says, I DID NOT THROW UP
June 20th: New York - Edinburgh
My brother is meeting me in Frankfurt airport and we’re making our way to Scotland. My goal – reincite the nationalist independence movement. If Scotland declares itself an independently country I get to add one more country to my list.
June 24th: Edinburgh - Copenhagen
My brother and me will link up with a sex worker Jyoti. We’ll also likely go broke before the end of the weekend.
June 28th: Copenhagen – Krakow
I realize that an airport code that sounds like “CRACK” is probably not a good sign. Rest assured my reasons for visiting are far more noble. I’ve had a long standing desire to visit Auschwitz and now I’ll get my chance (all thanks to a $50 one way ticket on Norwegian Air).
June 30th: Krakow – Prague
Not yet sure how I’m making this journey, but I think it’s likely to be an overnight train.
July 3nd: Prague – Vienna
Probably another train for this segment. My brother will then leave on the 4th and I’m left with 5 days in Vienna and no real plans. My options are
1. Roam around Austria. Take a day trip into Slovakia.
2. Make a quick roundtrip from Austria down toward Slovenia, maybe get as far as Bosnia. I’d love to see the bridge where WWI started. Try not to be concerned by my interest in global warfare.
3. Meet Anjali in Ibiza? This wouldn’t be cheap. Plus I HATE house in a way that I should really reserve for Osama Bin Laden. Still I am kind of tempted.
July 10th: Vienna – Bombay
Yep, I’m coming back for a few more days. I need to grab the rest of my stuff and say my final good byes.
July 13th: Bombay – Colombo (and back)
I’m finally making my trip to the “turd of India” with Sagan. Yep Sri Lanka here I come. This little roundtrip is paid for with miles earned on Jet Airways all thanks to the travel I’ve been doing for Monitor. God I love miles.
July 21: Bombay – Tokyo
Jyoti is making a little mileage run of her own, which nicely overlaps with my journey back to the US. It cost me an additional $75 in taxes to arrange a 2 day stopover in one of my favorite cities, Tokyo. THIS TIME I WILL TRY THE TOFU FLAVORED ICE CREAM.
July 25: Tokyo – Los Angeles
And the journey ends. Well at least for a few days. I’ll have to be in Berkeley by August 1st.
I’ll be travelling over 34,720 miles, across 3 continents, and visiting a minimum of 4 new countries. This is going to rock.
This is so epic. Happy to try out the froyo place and whatever else. I'm away the 16-19th, so let's do something right after I'm back.
ReplyDelete