Today is the last day of my fellowship. and in even better news – it’s my last day in Hyderabad.
Tomorrow morning I’m catching a flight to Delhi where I’ll spend just one day. In Delhi I have to make a quick (and totally useless) presentation to AIF to wrap up a project I’ve been working on for them separate from Roshan Vikas. I never bothered to post about this project for the sole reason that its REALLY boring. The most exciting part about it was that it gave me an excuse (and the funds) for a short trip to Ahmadabad. Any project that requires one to visit a place like Ahmadabad, is by definition “REALLY boring".” Zing!
Anyways after the presentation at AIF’s offices, I’ll be joining the rest of the Clinton Fellows in Delhi to sit and bitch about India/our joy at returning to the US. Expats in India are so predictable.
Early the next morning (as in 5:45am early, damnit), we all head to Shimla for 4 days of endpoint orientation. At some point before endpoint I need to get on point and put together some points in a PowerPoint about my project (I’m cool). This basically means I have to create a presentation that suggests I worked really hard, when in reality I feel that I did close to nothing. Given my 3 years working in finance, this should be second nature for me by now. Zing!
Anyways post-endpoint I’ll be travelling with 2 other fellows and their friends to Manali, Leh, and Ladakh (google image these places). The drive from Manali to Leh is supposedly basically a life changing, recklessly dangerous (highest mountain passes in the world), once-in-a lifetime religious experience. Also I hear they have banana pancakes in Ladakh. Tight, I’m basically travelling to Kashmir for pancakes. IHOP just won’t do.
Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leh%E2%80%93Manali_Highway
Unfortunately, I can’t spend nearly enough time in Leh to do it justice (though hopefully I won’t have altitude sickness the entire time). Fortunately, the reason I can’t stay in Leh is because I have to start making my way to friggin MONGOLIA.
I return from Leh to Delhi on July 8th to catch a late night flight to Beijing (via Seoul). That evening in Beijing, I meet my all time favorite Japanese-Taiwanese individual/only Asian friend – Julee. We leave the next morning for Ulaanbaatur to kick off our tour.
I WAS initially excited about the possibility of REAL Mongolia BBQ in MONGOLIA (rather than the Brea mall), but Naiel has ruined that for me by pointing out that Mongolian BBQ is some American gimmick. Thanks Naiel.
We’ve timed our tour of Mongolia to coincide with the Nadaam festival. Again, I’ll leave it to you to look this up on wikipedia. Our tour itinerary is here: http://www.selenatravel.com/tours/mongolia/naadam_festival_tour.html
My goal for this trip is to get a facebook profile pic that looks something like this:
After Mongolia, I return to Delhi on July 17th.
Then – tentatively – I hope to head back to the US on July 20th. No, I have no idea yet for how long, but YES I will DEFINITELY find a way to make a stop in NYC if it happens.
Finally, on some yet to be determined data (likely early August), I’ll have to be back in Mumbai to start up my new role as a “Case Team Member” at the Monitor Group.
Yes, it’s official. I’m staying another year.
p.s. I haven't decided yet if this blog should shut down with the end of my ‘year in India.” I feel that not shutting the site down would be disloyal to the title and spirit of the blog. There is also the option of changing the name of the blog to “Sanjay’s TWO years in India,” but somehow that feels like cheating. I could also be over thinking this fairly insignificant issue.
Congrats on Monitor and you're welcome for Mongolia. You should still go; it's tasty and cheap.
ReplyDeleteYou should shut this blog down and start building your tumblr...it's a lot more fun and you can easily post articles, photos, etc.