Hyderabad really threw out the welcome mat for me on my return from Bangkok last night. Not only did my taxi driver mysteriously add an extra hundred rupees to my fare, but I also had the luck to get HIT BY A MOTOR SCOOTER.
Obviously, the vehicle was not going fast enough to do enough damage to me to stop me from blogging, but it was definitely not a fun experience. I fell to the ground – skinned a knee on the tire (through my jeans!) and got coated in a nice layer of dust. So what happens next? I’d like to say that the driver immediately jumped off his bike to help me up and apologized profusely for my near-death experience and insisted I rush to the nearest hospital.
But no. He just sat there and didn’t say a word. He did that indescribable and incredibly infuriating blank stare that Indians are so good at. I’m sure in his mind it was completely my fault for taking up space on the pedestrian sidewalk.
Oh well. It’s India. I’m over it. I just hope I don’t have massive internal bleeding issues tonight or perhaps tetanus.
On a side note – I also returned to find out that half my state, Andhra Pradesh, is flooded. I thought I was crafty and arrived in India just after the monsoon season ended, but global warming got the better of me and the monsoons have arrived late this year. For me this is annoying, but for a lot of others in the villages and towns around Hyderabad it is lethal. My NGO, Roshan Vikas, is going to get involved in relief efforts in some capacity though I don’t think I’ll play any role in assisting (mainly because I’m useless).
you got hit by a scooter and got the stare.
ReplyDeletemy taxi hit a scooter and yelled at the scooter driver for 10minutes as he limped back on his bike.
things get odd here, this is true.